Tuesday 1 April 2014

Eat-Clean Recipe :: Raw Vegan Rice Paper Rolls

I don’t know about you but I love food that is fresh, easy to make, nutritious and delicious, well, particularly veggies. So, if you are one who hates those greens, look away. This is for those true greens lovers!

As I have mentioned on my previous post, I just found out that I was sensitive to gluten. All this while, for the past few years of my life, I had actually mistaken the symptoms of Gluten Intolerant (or Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity) as something normal.

Though there are many symptoms of Gluten Intolerant, these are the few obvious ones that I had experienced:

  1. Digestive issues such as gas, bloatingdiarrhoea and even constipation. This very symptom was the one I completely missed out, thinking that it might be due to the spicy food I had during the meals. 
  2. Keratosis Pilaris, (also known as ‘chicken skin’ on the back of your arms). This tends be as a result of a fatty acid deficiency and vitamin A deficiency secondary to fat-malabsorption caused by gluten damaging the gut. I let this slipped away too, and didn't know it was the obvious symptoms I had overlooked.
Only recently did I feel sick in the stomach whenever I consumed food that contain wheat, specifically, it would get me running to the toilet. Bloating became worse during night time, resulting in sleepless night and major diarrhoea on the next day morning. Thus, I decided to go gluten-free for the next few days to find out whether I truly is gluten-intolerant.

I am sharing this with you is not because I want you to be on gluten-free diet. Not everyone is sensitive to gluten, but if you have been experiencing all these, I suggest you do more research and read about it as currently there is no test for Gluten Sensitivity. 

So, to start my gluten-free diet on the right note, I had made some Raw Veggie Vietnamese rice paper rolls. This recipe is good when you want lighten up your meals, and prepare good easy ‘grab and go’ food that can be easily packed and eaten. Plus, it is gluten-free and perfect for any meals.


So let's get rolling!

Recipe:
(Servings: 2)
Ingredients
  • 6 Rice paper sheets 
  • Baby Spinach (or the leafy parts of Chinese spinach is fine)
  • Enoki Mushrooms
  • 1 Baby Corn
  • 1-2 Carrots, peeled
  • 1 tomato, sliced
  • Optional fillings: Cucumbers, Bean Sprouts, Avocado, Spring Onions, Red Bell Pepper etc.
  • For non-vegan fillings: Cooked prawns, or chicken boobies
Directions
  1. Wash all the vegetables and slice the carrots, corn, enoki, and tomatoes. Place all the ingredients in a large plate.
  2. Prepare a bowl with warm water for the rice paper and add a wrap for about 30 seconds, or until pliable
  3. Lay the wrap on a big dry plate, add a little of each veggie slightly towards the bottom
  4. First fold the side of the sheet closest to you (where the ingredients are) to cover the ingredients (this should be a horizontal movement). Then fold one of the vertical sides over half of the roll, then the other side.
  5. Finish rolling the sheet away from your body until you have a complete roll. 
  6. Continue process until all rolls are assembled and place onto serving dish.
Optional dipping Sauce:
- Thai Sweet & Spicy sauce
- Japanese Goma sauce
- Garlic Peanut Butter sauce = minced garlic, and mix with a tablespoon of peanut butter. Add in water until smooth and sauce-liked


I hope you will get rolling too and enjoy the goodness of raw veggies. Whenever I am tired of having salad, this would be my "go-to" recipe for an alternative recipe. There are endless list of methods for this recipe and ingredients you can put inside. 

Perhaps you would like to share some of your ideas, would love to hear it from you!

As always,
eat clean and be beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment